Monday, December 8, 2008

Picture Book

This last month I have been working (almost daily) on this little picture book for Lydia for Christmas. This was my very first applique project, and truthfully I had no idea how involved it was! I probably should have asked someone with experience for some pointers before I started- but I managed to get through it. It is definitely FAR from perfect- but I'm just glad it is finished. I'm sure anyone who has made one of this books can relate. I'm reasonably certain I will not be making another one of these in the near future, and I hope we can manage to keep track of all the velcro pieces to it. I used Burda pattern 7839 and used only scrap material that I had in my closet. Here are some pictures I took before I sewed the book together.

13 comments:

justin said...

Meredith- You do such a great job at everything you do. Those are the kinds of gifts your kids will cherish forever..Merry Christmas...Susie

Marie' said...

Meredith,
That is so much work! Wow!
I love the soft colors you chose, too. It is very pretty.

Sutton's said...

Meredith, I haven't checked blogs for months. I love your quiet book. You are an amazing sewer. Keep in touch

paula said...

Hi Mer-my Mom made us something almost identical to this when we were kids. We called it our quiet book. Jay D bought one for Elliott for $5 at the fair last year. That was much easier but it's not nearly as cool! Your time will be worth it. Lydia will love it and all the Mom's at church will be jelouse of your skills.

laura said...

I love that book, and I know Lydia will too! So I noticed that your baby on your blog says like 31 days left, but I thought you were due Jan. 1st. So did they push your due-date back a couple of weeks, or am I just confused? Anyway it is exciting that it is getting close!

Leslie said...

Um, Mere, I'm not sure we can be friends anymore. You are far too talented. You never cease to amaze me...what a wonderful mom you are, making your children such precious gifts for christmas. AMAZING!

Rilieanne said...

The only time I use my sewing machine is to sew a straight line. I'm pretty sure I could never accomplish something that cute, plus I just don't have the patience it would take.

Unknown said...

Wow, it is awesome. Andrew was like "that is the most amazing thing I've ever seen!" Lydia is one lucky duck!

Meredith said...

Laura- I better clear this up. My blog ticker is correct. My official due date is Jan. 13, but I'm hoping it will be more like the first week of Jan. :)

Kelsi said...

I am so glad you posted the book so I could see the finished project. I know how tedious it was but you have inspired me to try one out for Maya. I know she would love it---at least to chew on anyway :)

Joanna said...

AMAZING! You are so talented. I hope you teach your girls how to do those kinds of things. They will be so greatful someday

laura said...

hey,
i hope you have it the first week of jan too. i stole your idea of the baby ticker. hope you don't mind :) have fun with the last week until christmas!!

The Burninghams said...

Hey Cutie Pie! Looks like your little bun bun in the oven is almost here and ripe. Can't wait to see another little Malan! Just thinking about you.