Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Carving pumpkins

Yesterday we went to a neighbors house for their annual pumpkin carving night. We were told to bring a treat to share. All of you who know our family know that we are big fans of all kinds of breads (rolls, wheat, white, cinnamon rolls, etc. etc.), so we decided it would be fun to give doughnuts a try. We went with a spudnut recipe we found on the internet, and they turned out delicious. We made 4 dozen (plus all the doughnut holes) - after a few deliveries and our pumpkin carving fun they are all gone! That's a good thing.
We had a great time carving our pumpkins- in this picture Lydia has her classic scowl on (I don't know where that comes from).The girls wanted fancy pumpkins, so Savannah picked out a mummy pattern and Paige picked out a clown pattern. Notice Savannah eating a doughnut- I think this was her fifth of the day. She just kept sneaking them.
They turned out pretty good. Dan carved the mummy for Savvy and I carved the clown for Paige. I lucked out and the clown only lost one tooth. When I told Paige I was sorry she said, "that's okay mom, clowns are missing teeth anyway right?" I'm guessing she got that from T. V.

7 comments:

Joanna said...

Mere, what skills you have. Those pumpkins look great, and donuts...... You are the bomb

Leisel said...

Whoa...those doughnuts look professional! And yummy. Great job on the pumpkins too. Andrew and I loved carving them with the girls when we were dating! Can you believe how time flies?! Great pictures.

Marie' said...

Those pumpkins are cool! You will need to take a picture when it is lit up.

Rilieanne said...

Good job on the doughnuts Martha. Let's see some belly pics! I want to see my nephew in progress.

Leslie said...

okay, for real, you are queen of all things homemade with dough. rolls to die for. eclairs worth sinning for. and now spudnuts? mere, do you know where i live for heaven's sake? get over here and tempt me with one of those! :)

p.s. when's our next get-together? i miss you and those darling girls of yours!

justin said...

Mere- Your pumpkins turned out great and the spudnuts look delicious! One of our Halloween traditions is to make Corn Dogs and Spudnuts. Later..Susie

Janene Kingsley said...

way cool! You guys always made the best food! I love the pumpkins too!