About 6 ½ years ago, Dan and I went on a short vacation to Portland Oregon. While we were there Dan’s beloved handgun was stolen out of our car. It was the handgun his Grandpa Malan had given him when he was 12 years old. We called the police, filed a report, and gave them the serial number of the gun expecting to never see that gun again (hoping it would never show up in a crime). Well lo and behold we received a letter the first week of July from the Portland Police informing us that they had Dan’s gun. We contacted the police and found out that his gun had been recovered 2 weeks after it was stolen! Whoever stole it from us sold it to a pawn shop dealer who ran the serial number and returned it to the police. So we started the process to get the gun back. First, we had to call 3 times to figure out what we needed to do to get the gun back. Then, we had to PAY the pawn shop dealer half of what he paid for the gun (unless we wanted to go to court up in Portland to get it back). Finally, they mailed it to the local police department where we had to have several documents notarized. A month later (after us calling 3 times) the gun has been returned to us. Here is the gun in all of its glory- A Smith & Wesson K-22

The part that cracked us up is they sent us a letter telling us we had 30 days to claim our property, yet they had our property just sitting there for 6 ½ years! After telling us that we had 30 days- it still took them another 3 months to return our property - minus the holster (which they told us they also had- sigh). Oh well- Dan’s precious gun is returned, and I have a happy husband.
5 comments:
That is crazy. Six years?
I am glad Dan got it back though.
Glad he got his gun back! So I am wanting to hear all about how life is and what you have been up to. What is your email address? Email me at sburningham@hotmail.com
You should get on facebook. There is a lot of highschool people on there. :)
I think this story is really funny. I love that Dan had a pistol in the car. Those guns look like they are from the wild west. We have the same gun and holster.
Glad he got it returned, especially since it was his granddads.
I'm so glad Dan got it back! What a great reminder of his grandfather.
I am sure Dan is ecstatic. I know how much he likes his guns. Are you going to go through the hassle for the holster? What a pain!
Post a Comment